Sunday, September 18, 2011

Blog Assignment 4

The Benefits of Podcasting in the Classroom by Joe Dale


In this podcast Joe Dale discusses some of the benefits of using podcasts in the classroom.  One of the example benefits he gives is that they are an effective way of interacting with students outside of the classroom.  Others are as follows: a form of learning students of today are familiar with and therefore makes it relevant to them, it allows for differentiation and project based learning, it promotes creativity and innovation, and it can offer distance learning opportunities for absent students.  He then shows us an example of using podcasts in the class room.  He profiles a sixth grade social studies teacher who has used a number of different podcast and podcast projects in the classroom.   The podcast the teacher is using in this video is a book with different characters and he uses different people to have a different voice other than his own on the recording.  It really brings the characters to life for the students.  Mr. Dale also interview a principal who agrees with his point that it can be a very effective way of teaching.  At the end he gives some resources on podcasting using GarageBand and Audacity.  


I enjoyed watching this podcast.  I listen to a number of podcasts from iTunes and I was under the impression that it was a specific term used for iTunes.  I didn't know it was more of a universal term.  Two of my favorite podcasts are "The Moth" and "This American Life."  They are great podcasts that share stories and having a degree in English, I love stories.  I also went to the resource he provided about using Audacity and found it to be very helpful.  I have not ever made a podcast so being assigned to make one is a bit scary because I have no clue how to do that.  The Audacity resource he listed really helped out a lot.  Here's a link to it: Audacity Tutorial.


The Practical Principals with Melinda Miller and Scott Elias


What I can gather about this website is that it is a couple of tech savvy principals who podcast about technology in the classroom.  I can tell without even listening to the podcasts yet that this will be a very helpful website and I have already bookmarked it in my browser.  It appears that there hasn't been a new podcast since about May of this year.  The latest podcast is about end of the year wrap up for principals and I didn't think this podcast would be very practical for me to listen to at this time, but like I said I know I will be back to this website.  The second most recent one was all about technology and I know I'll be able to get a lot out of this one.  


MacBook Air




They begin the podcast talking about the MacBook Air.  They were both very complimentary of the machine.  I have a MacBook Pro which is the bigger laptop computer from Apple, the Air is very thin, it actually does't even have a slot to put in CD's or DVD's.  It's basically like a PC version of a NetBook. See picture above.  When I was considering buying my new computer I was in debate which one I should get.  They say that the Air is better because it's just as fast as the Pro, but it weighs a lot less and is easier to carry.  I went with the Pro, because I couldn't justify spending the same amount of money for less computer.  But, they make a lot of good points.  Another thing I really like about this podcast is that for everything they talk about they leave a link to directly underneath the link to listen to the podcast.  Overall the podcast is about 45 minutes long and is full of great advice on technology.  They also present the fact that all this technology is great they are good tools, but it is not about the tools.  It's about who and how they are being used.  Great podcast!


Eagle's Nest Radio & Class Blog


This blog and podcast is from Mrs. Edmison's third grade class.  Basically the podcast's work in conjunction with the lessons that Mrs. Edmison is teaching.  It's really great.  The children in the classroom are who narriate the podcasts.  So, not only is she teaching them about roman architecture, for example, she is also having them recreate it for themselves.  I always found this type of learning very beneficial.  As a student you don't just have to memorize a bunch of facts and then answer questions about them.  You have to really learn it and be able to talk about it for yourself, in essence you could then go teach someone about roman architecture because you've taught yourself about it.  


She is also teaching them at a very early age about really using computers for more than just facts or entertainment.  She's teaching them to be well versed in using computers in the future to accomplish specific tasks beneficial to our forward thinking society and work force.  I think Mrs. Edmison is doing a great thing.  It's innovative and a new way for students to learn.  

1 comment:

  1. I just got an Air. fast. And it turns on fast. But I can understand why a pro might be better for you.

    Thorough. Thoughtful. Well done. Your comments indicate these assignments helped prepare you for your podcast. Even though you think it is "scary".

    ReplyDelete