Sunday, November 6, 2011

Additional Post 1

Metaphors: What They Are and Why We Use Them 

In this blog post Dr. Strange alerts the EDM310 community about some of the things we missed in "Tom Johnson's" blog post "Pencil Integration."  Here's where I messed up.  I did not realize that Tom Johnson was a pseudonym for John Spencer.  Dr. Strange goes on to point out several of the metaphors in Mr. Johnson's post.  First off the title of the blog "Pencil Integration" is a metaphor because we already use pencils in class rooms there is no need for them to be integrated. Conversely there is a need for technolog to be integrated in the classroom.  Dr. Strange points out that the metaphor here is to replace "pencils" in Mr. Johnson's post with "computers."  Dr. Strange goes on to provide for use many common metaphors that we can relate to in order to better understand the ones used in Mr. Johnson's post.  Dr. Strange also gives us links to why we should use metaphors and what the advantages can be.  If you follow the link in the title of this post you can find them too.  Or, if you're lazy just click here. 

book cover from Pencil me In

It was really awesome to see that John Spencer, author of Pencil me In: A Journey in the Fight for Graphite, acknowledged Dr. Strange and the efforts of the EDM310 class in his book.  Showing that the work we are doing in this class is not just busy work, but it is effective and the activities do make a difference.  Very inspiring.

So, I totally missed on this one.  I did not realize the pseudonym.  I did however, realize that it was a completely made up situation.  I should have expressed more of my thoughts about that in my initial post.  It was good for me to do this assignment.  I do have a much better understanding of things now and I know to pay more attention to detail.

No comments:

Post a Comment