Saturday, October 8, 2011

C4T post 2

Justin Tart : High Expectations

buck staring up a tree



In my second round of C4T I was assigned Justin Tart's - "Life of an Educator..." blog. It appears he is a first year administrator. In his blog post "High Expectations" he talks about the expectations we place on students. He poses the question "if or whether we should personalize our expectations of our students. Should we 'standardize' high expectations and expect all students to follow the same set of expectations, or should we "personalize" the expectations to meet our students at their own individual levels and abilities...?" He then gives an example of two students, one from a stable home with two supportive parents and another from a broken home where support is absent. He asks if it's fair to hold these students to the same standard. Or should we personalize the expectations to meet the needs of the individual student at their current levels. He does not really offer an opinion on the matter but just simply asks "What do you think?"

My comment: "Thanks for the thoughts. I'm not yet a teacher, but I am studying to be one. The thought of where my expectations should fall for my students is provoking. After reading some of the other comments I'd tend to agree that high expectations should be set for all students. I don't necessarily think it's realistic to believe that they can all reach a uniform requirement of expectation. Individually harvest knowledge in them to the best of your ability and hopefully have that manifest into a positive product."

The second of Justin Tart's blog posts I commented on was titled "What do you see... ?"  The blog was mainly just a bunch of questions about the daily goings-on of a teacher and how they are perceived by each individual teacher.  For example, he proses a question about lunch duty.  He asks if the teacher sees it as just another part of the job or as an opportunity to work on student-teacher relationships.  He also provides many more questions about perceptions of the job of an educator, either about the mundane duties of a teacher or about the challenging problems teachers face.

I really liked this blog post.  I made a copy of the text for when I start teaching just to remind myself that there are plenty of chances to take a negative situation and make it a positive one.  It also encouraged me to make the most out of every opportunity no matter the situation.  Because this post was just mainly a list of questions for actual educators to ponder over it didn't really leave me much room for comment as I am not currently an employed educator and I don't have any life experience to reflect upon in order to provide any insight to the subject.  Nevertheless, my comment is posted below.

"This is a great reminder of how to continually keep a fresh look at perspective.  I know that I will read this again in the future to make sure mine stays refreshed and that I stay focused. "  

No comments:

Post a Comment